Professor CHU Ka Hou
|1984||Ph. D. (Biological Oceanography), Massachusetts Institute of Technology / Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Joint Program in Oceanography, USA|
|1976||A. B. (Biological Sciences, with specialisation in Marine Biology), University of California at Berkeley, USA|
- Professor, School of Life Sciences
- Director, Simon F.S. Li Marine Science Laboratory
- Associate Head & Trustee, New Asia College
- Associate Editor, Journal of Crustacean Biology
- Subject Editor, Editorial Board of the journal Zoological Studies
- Member, Editorial Board of the journal Marine Biotechnology
- Member, Editorial Board of the journal Marine and Freshwater Behaviour and Physiology
- Honorary Professor, Hong Kong Institute of Education
- Honorary Professor, Shanghai Ocean University, China
- Adjunct Professor, Xiamen University, China
- Adjunct Professor, Jimei University, Xiamen, China
- Visiting Scientist, South China Sea Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Scientific Advisor, International Foundation for Science, Sweden
- Molecular marine biology and biotechnology
a) Molecular systematics and ecology
b) Molecular and immunological studies on seafood allergy
- Biology of crustaceans
a) Crustacean genomics
b) Larval development, growth and reproduction
c) Fisheries, aquaculture and pollution biology
- Tsang LM, Schubart CD, Ahyong ST, Lai J, Au E, Ng PKL, Chan TY, Chu KH: Evolutionary history of the true crabs (Crustacea, Decapoda, Brachyura), including the origin of the freshwater crabs. Mol Biol Evol 2014, 31:1173-1187.
- Wai CYY, Leung NYH, Ho MHK, Gershwin LJ, Shu SA, Leung PSC, Chu KH: Immunization with hypoallergens of the shrimp allergen tropomyosin inhibits shrimp tropomyosin specific IgE reactivity in mice. PLoS One 2014, 9: e111649.
- Wu LT, Hui JHL, Chu KH: Origin and evolution of yolk proteins: expansion and functional diversification of large lipid transfer protein superfamily. Biol Reprod 2013, 88:102.
- Tsang LM, Chan TY, Ahyong S, Chu KH: Hermit to king, or hermit to all: multiple transitions to crab-like forms from hermit crab ancestors. Syst Biol 2011, 60: 616-629.
- Xu J, Chan T.Y, Tsang LM, Chu KH: Phylogeography of the mitten crab Eriocheir sensu stricto in East Asia: Pleistocene isolation, population expansion and secondary contact. Mol Phylogenet Evol 2009, 52:45-56.
- Tsang LM, Chan BKK, Ma KY, Chu KH: Genetic differentiation, hybridization and adaptive significance in two subspecies of the acorn barnacle, Tetraclita japonica, in NW Pacific. Mol Ecol 2008, 17:4136-4148.
- Tsang LM, Ma KY, Ahyong ST, Chan TY, Chu KH: Phylogeny of Decapoda using two nuclear protein-coding genes: Origin and evolution of the Reptantia. Mol Phylogenet Evol 2008, 48:359-368.
- Chu KH, Li CP, Qi J: Ribosomal RNA as molecular barcodes: A simple correlation analysis without sequence alignment. Bioinformatics 2006, 22:1690-1701.
- Chu KH, Qi J, Yu ZG, Anh V: Origin and phylogeny of chloroplasts revealed by a simple correlation analysis of complete genomes. Mol Biol Evol 2004, 21:70-76.
- Lavery S, Chan TY, Tam YK, Chu KH: Phylogenetic relationships and evolutionary history of the shrimp genus Penaeus s.l. derived from mitochondrial DNA. Mol Phylogenet Evol 2004, 31:39-49.
- 2015-2018, Research Grants Council (RGC) Collaborative Research Fund, Marine genomics: crustacean evolution and aquaculture, $7,200,000
- 2015-2018, National Science Foundation of China, Phylogenetics of higher taxa (families and superfamilies) in Caridea based on nuclearprotein-coding genes and mitochondrial genomes, RMB940,000
- 2015-2017, Environment and Conservation Fund, Genetic diversity and population structure of freshwater fish in Hong Kong and South China, $1,016,460
- 2015-2017, Health and Medical Research Fund, Immunotherapy and modulatory mechanisms of hypoallergen DNA vaccines for shellfish allergy, $999,657
- 2013-2016, Research Grants Council (RGC) General Research Fund, Comparative phylogeography of East Asian crabs using a multi-locus approach: The role of adult habitat specificity in shaping genetic structure of coastal fauna, $848,712
- 2011-2014, Research Grants Council (RGC) General Research Fund, Gene therapy of shellfish allergy, $1,035,000
- 2010-2013, Research Grants Council (RGC) General Research Fund, A multi-locus approach to the origin and phylogeny of thoracotreme crabs, the most diversified of all brachyurans, $963,815
- 2010-2013, Environment and Conservation Fund, Genetic diversity and population differentiation of freshwater fish in Hong Kong, $854,440
- 2009-2012, Research Grants Council (RGC) General Research Fund, Diversity, distribution and genetic differentiation of two barnacle species complexes: dissecting the driving forces of biogeographic patterns in the Asian intertidal zone, $543,203
- 2004-2008, Research Grants Council (RGC) Earmarked Grant, Molecular barcodes of decapod crustaceans: the development of a DNA-based taxonomic identification system, $1,406,920
- 2003-2007, Research Grants Council (RGC) Earmarked Grant, Gene expression in ovarian maturation of penaeid shrimp, $1,679,600
- 2002-2005, Research Grants Council (RGC) Earmarked Grant, Development of an animal model of shrimp allergy, $816,000
- 2001-2005, Research Grants Council (RGC) Earmarked Grant, Molecular population structure of penaeid shrimp in the Indo-West Pacific, $1,182,000
- 2000-2003, Research Grants Council (RGC) Earmarked Grant, Isolation, characterization, and molecular cloning of the androgenic hormone of the mud crab Scyllaspp.: Development of monosex crab aquaculture, $763,200
- 1999-2002, Research Grants Council (RGC) Earmarked Grant, Evolutionary and population genetics of the mitten crabs, Eriocheirspp, $822,080
- 1998-2001, Research Grants Council (RGC) Earmarked Grant, Development of molecular markers for genome mapping in penaeid shrimp, $600,000
- 1997-1999, Research Grants Council (RGC) Earmarked Grant, Molecular studies on shellfish allergens: Cloning, expression and immunological responses, $686,880
- 1996-1999, Research Grants Council (RGC) Earmarked Grant, Evolutionary and population genetics of penaeid shrimp in the Indo-West Pacific: Allozyme and mitochondrial DNA analyses, $692,000
- 1994-1997, Research Grants Council (RGC) Earmarked Grant, Fisheries biology and population genetics of brachyuran crabs in the Zhujiang estuary, $603,000
- 1994-1996, Croucher Foundation, Molecular cloning and expression of crustacean allergens, $600,000
- 1991-1994, Croucher Foundation, Diversity, distribution and production of penaeid shrimp in the Zhujiang River Estuary, $800,000
- 2015, Outstanding Fellow, Faculty of Science, CUHK
- 2012, Higher Education Outstanding Scientific Research Output Award (Science and Technology) in the category of Natural Sciences (Second Class), Ministry of Education, PRC
- 2007-2008, Research Excellence Award, CUHK
- 2005, Exemplary Teaching Award, Faculty of Science, CUHK