Professor CHEN Zhenyu
|1989||Ph. D. University of Massachusetts|
|1982||B. Sc. Henan Normal University|
- Professor, Food & Nutritional Sciences Programme, School of Life Sciences
- Head of the Graduate Division, School of Life Sciences
- Food Chemistry and Nutrition
- Fat and cholesterol metabolism and heart diseases
- Wang L, Li YM, Lei L, Liu Y, Wang X, Ma KY, Zhang C, Zhu H, Zhao Y, Chen ZY. Purple sweet potato anthocyanins attenuates fat-induced mortality in Drosophila melanogaster. Experimental Gerontology 2016, 82, 95-103.
- Wang X, Guan L, Zhao Y, Lei L, Liu Y, Ma KY, Wang L, Man SW, Wang J, Huang Y, Chen ZY. Plasma cholesterol-lowering activity of dietary dihydrocholesterol in hypercholesterolemia hamsters. Atherosclerosis 2015, 242, 77-86.
- Wang L, Li YM, Lei L, Liu Y, Wang X, Ma KY, Chen ZY. Cranberry anthocyanin extract prolongs lifespan of fruit flies. Experimental gerontology 2015, 69, 189-195.
- Liang YT, Chen J, Jiao R, Peng C, Zuo Y, Lei L, Liu Y, Wang Z, Ma KY, Chen ZY. Cholesterol-lowering activity of sesamin is associated with down-regulation on genes of sterol transporters involved in cholesterol absorption. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2015, 63, 2963-2969.
- Lei L, Liu Y, Wang X, Jiao R, Ma KY, Li YM, Wang L, Man SW, Sang S, Huang Y, Chen ZY. Plasma cholesterol-lowering activity of gingerols- and shogaols-riched extract is mediated by increasing sterol excretion. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2014, 62, 10515-10521.
- Jiao R, Zhang Z, Yu H, Huang Y, Chen ZY. Hypocholesterolemic activity of grape seed proanthocyanidin is mediated by enhancement of bile acid excretion and up-regulation of CYP7A1, Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry 2010, 21,1134-1139.
- Cao Y, Chen J, Yang L and Chen ZY. Differential incorporation of dietary conjugated linolenic acid and linoleic acids into milk lipids and liver phospholipids in lactating and suckling rats, Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry 2009, 20, 685-693.
- Zhang ZS, Wang H, Jiao R, Peng C, Wong YM, Yeung VSY, Huang Y, Chen ZY. Choosing Hamsters but not Rats as a Model for Studying plasma cholesterol-lowering Activity of Functional Foods, Molecular Nutrition & Food Research 2009, 53,921-930.
- Lam CK, Zhang ZS, Yu H, Tsang SY, Huang Y, Chen ZY. Apple polyphenols inhibit plasma CETP activity and reduce the ratio of non-HDL to HDL, Molecular Nutrition and Food Research2008, 52,950-958.
- Li YM, Chan HYE, Yao XQ, Huang Y, Chen ZY. Green Tea Catechins and Broccoli Reduce Fat-Induced Mortality in Drosophila melanogaster, Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry 2008, 19,376-383.
- Lam CK, Chen J, Cao Y, Yang L, Wong YM, Yeung SYV, Yao Y, Huang Y, Chen ZY. Conjugated and non-conjugated octadecaenoic acids affect differently intestinal acyl coenzyme A : Cholesterol acyltransferase activity, Atherosclerosis 2008, 198,85-93
- Ng CH, Yao X, Huang Y and Chen ZY. Oxidized cholesterol is more hypercholesterolemic and atherogenic than non-oxidized cholesterol in hamster, British Journal of Nutrition 2008, 99,749-755.
- 2016-2018, HMRF, Management of hypercholesterolemia using tartary buckwheat: Research on active ingredients and underlying mechanism, HK$1,065,332.
- 2013-2015, GRF, Why do cholesteryl ester (CE) species differently elevate plasma cholesterol level: A mechanism study? HK$ 1,068,250.
- 2014-2016, GRF, Effect of Dietary Sesamin on Cholesterol Absorption and Cholesterol Homeostasis: A Mechanism Study. HK$ 952,636.
- 2013-2015, HMRF, Investigation of In Vivo and In Vitro Vascular Benefits of Vitamin D in Mouse Models of Obesity and Diabetes, HK$994,920.
- 2008-2011, GRF, Dietary Calcium deficiency and inadequacy elevate blood cholesterol level: a mechanism study, HK$649,765.
- 2007-2010, GRF, Why does dietary oxidized cholesterol elevate blood cholesterol level more effectively than non-oxidized cholesterol? HK$932,500.
- 2005-2008, GRF, Effect of linoleic acid (LA), conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), alpha-linolenic acid (LN) and conjugated linolenic acid (CLN) on blood cholesterol: a mechanism study, HK$568,957.
- 2004-2006, GRF, Effect of selective estrogen receptor modulators on coronary artery reactivity in cholesterol-fed, ovariectomized rabbits, HK$939,968.
- 2000-2003, GRF, Hypolipidemic and antioxidant activity of theaflavins and thearubigins from oolong and black tea, HK$763,200.
- 1997-2000, GRF, Investigation of mechanisms of cholesterol-lowering effect of green tea epicatechin isomers, HK$ 1,122,000.
- 1995-1998, GRF, Metabolic fate of trans/cis fatty acids in high-trans milk and their effect on metabolism of essential fatty acids, HK$ 1,180,000.
- 1996-1998, Wei Lun Foundation, Identification and evaluation of biologically active compounds present in Chinese green tea, HK$ 835,000.
- Patent ZL 200510074259.1 (China patent) and HK 1095288 (Hong Kong), Formulations for Menopausal Syndromes.
- 楊林，陳振宇，曹瑩，高紅麗，陳競男，基於酶促法合成共軛亞油酸甘油酯類衍生 物，公開號：CN101200741，申請號：CN200610156502
- 楊林，陳振宇，曹瑩。基於酶促法合成共軛亞油酸糖酯類衍生物， 公開號： CN101386875，申請號：CN200710145415
- American Chemical Society (ACS) - Advancement of Application of Agricultural and Food Chemistry Award, 2016.
- Natural Science Research Award (2nd Prize), Ministry of Education, China, 2011.
- Research Excellence Award, Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2009.
- Fellow, American Chemical Society (AFD).
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry.
- T.K. Murray Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Award, National Institute of Nutrition, Canada, 1992.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
- Editorial board member, Journal of Functional Foods.
- Advisory board member, Food & Function.
- Editorial board member, Biomedical and Environmental Sciences.
- Editorial board member, Journal of Food Chemistry and Nutrition.
- Editorial board member, Food Science and Human Wellness.
- Editorial board member, Acta Nutrimenta Sinica.
- Editorial board member, Open Agriculture Journal.
- Editorial board member, Parkinstan Journal of Nutrition.
- Editorial board member, Food Science(China).
- Council member, China Nutrition Society.
- Academic Advisor, Hong Kong Nutrition Association.