Professor ZHANG Jianhua
(Office): Rm 290, Science Centre South Block
(Office): (852) 3943 6288
|Fax||(852) 2603 6382|
|1988||Ph.D. Lancaster University|
|1982||B.Sc. Jiangsu Agricultural College|
- Professor of Plant Biology at School of Life Sciences
- Director of State Key Laboratory of Agrobiotechnology
- Plant physiology and molecular biology under environmental stresses.
- Crop production under water-limited condition.
- Zhang J. 2011. China's success in increasing per capita food production. Journal of Experimental Botany62, 3707-11. (Invited Review)
- Yang J, Zhang J. 2010. Grain-filling problem in ‘super’ rice. Journal of Experimental Botany61, 1-5. (Invited Review)
- Zhu G, Ye N, J Yang, X Peng, Zhang J. 2011. Regulation of expressions of starch synthesis genes by ethylene and ABA in relation to the development of rice inferior and superior spikelets.Journal of Experimental Botany62, 3907-3916.
- Ye N, Zhu G, Liu Y, Li Y, Zhang J. 2011. ABA controls H2O2 accumulation through the induction of OsCATB in rice leaves under water stress. Plant and Cell Physiology 52, 689–698.
- Xing Y, Jia W, Zhang J. 2008. AtMKK1 mediates ABA-induced CAT1 expression and H2O2 production via AtMPK6-coupled signaling in Arabidopsis. The Plant Journal 54, 440-451.
- Yang J, Zhang J. 2006. Grain filling of cereals under soil drying. New Phytologist 169, 223-236. (Invited Tansley Review).
- Zhang J, Jia W, Yang J, Ismail AM. 2006. Role of ABA in integrating plant responses to drought and salt stresses. Field Crops Research97, 111-119. (Invited Review).
- Kang S, Zhang J. 2004. Controlled alternate partial rootzone irrigation: its physiological consequences and impact on water use efficiency. Journal of Experimental Botany55, 2437-2446. (Invited Review).
- Yang J, Zhang J, Wang Z, Xu G, Zhu Q. 2004. Activities of key enzymes in sucrose to starch conversion in wheat grains subjected to water deficit during grain filling. Plant Physiology135, 1621-1629.
- Yang J, Zhang J, Wang Z, Zhu Q, Wang W. 2001. Hormonal changes in the grains of rice subjected to water stress during grain filling. Plant Physiology 127, 315-323.
1994-1997. Research Grant Council, Competitive Earmarked Research Grant, "Antitranspiration and anti-growth activities in the xylem stream of plants growing in stressed conditions." HK$ 617,000.
1996-1999. Croucher Foundation, Hong Kong, “Early senescence of wheat at grain-filling time under water-saving cultivation.” HK$ 858,000.
2000-2003. Research Grant Council, Competitive Earmarked Research Grant,, "Soil drying in relation to the remobilization of carbon reserve during grain-filling period of rice and wheat." HK$ 855,500.
2001-2004. Research Grant Council, Competitive Earmarked Research Grant, "Partial rootzone irrigation: its physiological consequences and impact on water use efficiency." HK$ 882,000.
2004-2006. Research Grant Council, Competitive Earmarked Research Grant, "Soil drying at the grain-filling stage of rice and wheat: physiology and its application in crop production. " HK$ 748,800.
2005-2008. Research Grant Council, Competitive Earmarked Research Grant, " Assessment of irrigation methods and rice cultivars for water-limited cultivation. " HK$ 1,071,914.
2007-2011. University Grants Committee, Area of Excellence for Plant and Agricultural Biotechnology, and Hong Kong Baptist University, "Water stress on crop production: from molecular mechanism to crops in the field". HK$ 3,000,000.
2007-2010. Research Grant Council, Competitive Earmarked Research Grant, " Application of partial rootzone irrigation on cotton production in the oases of arid area" HK$ 994,406.
2008-2010. Research Grant Council, General Research Fund " Regulation of the sensitivity of stomatal movement to root signal" HK$ 659,980.
2009-2012. Research Grant Council, General Research Fund " Regulation mechanism of grain filling in inferior spikelets of super rice " HK$ 1,150,000.
2009-2012. Hong Kong Baptist University Strategic Development Fund “Using functional genomics technology to study the molecular mechanism of plant adaptation to water stress and improvement of crop water use efficiency " HK$ 3,650,000.
2011-2013. Kadoori Charitable Foundation: “Partial Rootzone Irrigation (PRI) Water Saving Technique Training Pilot Project in the arid areas of Gansu Province”. RMB 1,030,800.
2010-2013. Research Grant Council, Collaborative Research Fund " Identification of redox-sensitive proteins and characterization of their functions in regulating the oxidative stress response in Arabidopsis " HK$5,000,000. (As Co-Investigator, Project Coordinator: Dr Yiji Xia).
Device of water delivery for alternate partial rootzone irrigation, China Patent Office. Registration no: ZL 2003 1 0122230.7. Date of approval: 17 June 2009. Together with Prof Kang Shaozhong’s group.
2010-12 The Scientific and Technological Progress Award (First Class) from Ministry of Education, China (教育部科技进步一等奖) Rice cultivation methods for high yield and better use of water and nutrients
2010-12 The Natural Science Award (Second Class) from Ministry of Education, China (教育部自然科学二等奖) Oxidative stress signalling in crops under water stress
2009-2 President’s Award for Outstanding Performance in Scholarly Work. Hong Kong Baptist University
2008-12 Profiled by Nature as one of ‘Five Crop Researchers Who Could Change the World’. Nature 456, 563-568, 2008.
2007-2 The State Scientific and Technological Progress Award (Second Class) from State Council, China (国家科技进步二等奖) for “High effective use of water in agriculture in northwest China” (ref 2006-J-201-2-17-R10)
2008-1 The Scientific and Technological Progress Award (Second Class) from Ministry of Education, China (教育部科技进步二等奖) for “Mechanisms of rice quality formation and cultivation technique” (ref 2007-280).
2002-6. First Class Award for research project “Water-soil-crop relationship and its optimum regulation in Yellow Loess Plateau”, by Yanglin Agricultural Sci-Tech Development and Industry Demonstration Park, Shaanxi, China (ref 03-1-17-R9).
2006-1. The Scientific and Technological Progress Award (Second Class) from Ministry of Education, China (教育部科技进步二等奖) for “Study and application of controlled alternative partial rootzone irrigation and deficit irrigation in crop production” (ref 2005-245).
2004-3. The Science and Technology Award (Fist Class) from Government of Shaanxi Province, China (陕西省科学技术一等奖)for “Water-soil-crop relationship and its optimum regulation in Yellow Loess Plateau”. (ref 03-1-17-R9)
2003-11. The Scientific and Technological Progress Award (Second Class) from Ministry of Education, China (教育部科技进步二等奖) for “The mechanism and regulation of rice grain filling” (ref 2003-232).
2003-11. 2003-11. The Scientific and Technological Progress Award (Second Class) from Ministry of Education, China (教育部科技进步二等奖) for “Water-saving agriculture and sustainable use of water resources” (Ref 2003-251).
For editorial duties:
Associate Editor of Journal of Experimental Botany (2009- )
Associate Editor of Food and Energy Security (2011- )
Co-Editor of Journal of Integrative Plant Biology (2008- ),
Handling Editor of Chinese Bulletin of Botany (2009- )
Associate Editor of Cereal Research Communications (2009-- )
Associate Editor of Plant Physiology Journal (2009-- )
Member of Journal Editorial Boards of
Functional Plant Biology (2009-2012)
Board member, Content Selection & Advisory Board, Scopus, Elsevier (2009- )
Board member, Yunus Center at Asian Institute of Technology (AIT)
Panel member, National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC). (2010- )
Panel member, Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST). (2011- )
Member of Selection Panel, Ministry of Education. (2010- )
Member of the Selection Panel for Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme 2010 of University Grants Committee in Hong Kong
Member of Biology Panel in the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) 2006 of University Grants Committee in Hong Kong
International Panelist for the First ASAIHL (Association of Southeast Asian Institutions of Higher Learning) Young Scientist Awards (Nov 2008), sponsored by Elsevier.
International Chief Panelist for the First Annual ProSPER.Net-Scopus Young Scientist Award (June 2009), organised by the Promotion of Sustainability in Postgraduate Education and Research (ProSPER.Net), network of leading higher education institutions in Asia and the Pacific areas.
International Chief Panelist for the Young Women Researcher Award 2009 (Nov 2009), organised by the Third World Academy of Science (TWAS), Third World Organization for Women in Science (TWOWS), National Science Centre of Malaysia and Scopus of Elsevier.
International Chief Panelist for the Second Annual ProSPER.Net-Scopus Young Scientist Award (July 2010)
Member of Government Advisory Committee, Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation, Hong Kong Government (20 May 2000-19 May 2005).
Council member (Standing Committee) of Chinese Society of Plant Physiology (2009 - )
Council member of the Botanical Society of China (2008-2012).
Council member of the Hong Kong Institute of Science (2008- ).